Melika Shirmohammadi, Ph.D.
Human Resource Development
Office 227A, Isabel C. Cameron
Email mshirmoh [at] central.uh.edu
- Ph.D., Educational Human Resource Development, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, 2018
- Master of Science, Public Administration (concentration: Human Resource Management), University of Tehran, 2010
- Bachelor of Science, Public Administration, University of Tehran, 2007
- Coordinator of the Human Resource Development Graduate Program
- HRD 6553: Methods of Adult Learning
- HRD 3340: Principles of Human Resource Development
- HRD 6604: Assessment and Evaluation in HRD
Awards & Honors
- AHRD Early Career Scholar Award, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2023
- Early Career Work and Family Fellowship Progam, Funded by The Sloan Foundation Work & Family Researchers Network, 2022
- The Richard A. Swanson Research Excellence, runner-up, 2022
- The Academy of Management's Carolyn B. Dexter Award (nominated), 2021
- AOM Annual Meeting Best Paper Award, 2021
- Au, W. C., Shirmohammadi, M. & Beigi, M. “Who is On-Call to Take Care of my Kids?”: The Country and Occupation Context Enabling Informal Childcare and Nursing Careers.
- Beigi., M. Shirmohammadi, M., Au, W., Tochia, C., Hashemian, A. We were all in it together: Work-from-home as dual-earner households with school-age children. 2nd revision.
- Arthur, M. Ayoobzadeh, M., Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M., Amplifying the Intelligent Careers Framework to Examine Contemporary Careers: A Review of Literature and Call for Future Research. 2nd revision.
- Ayoobzadeh, M., Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M., Learning by Gaming: Nonwork-to-Work Enrichment Among Successful Massive Multiplayer Online Gamers. Under-review.
- Beigi, M., Shirmohammadi, M., Au, W., & Tochia, C. (in-print). We Were All in It Together: Managing Work From Home as Dual-Earner Households With School age Children. Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Shirmohammadi M. Ayoobzadeh, M., & Beigi, M., (2023). Finding a Home for your Career Away from Home: Experiences of Iranian Highly Skilled Edu-Immigrants in the United States. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 103874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2023.103874
- Shirmohammadi, Beigi, M., & M. Au, W. (2023). Who Moved My Boundary? Strategies Adopted by Dual-Earner Households with School-age Children During the Lockdown. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 103866. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2023.103866
- Shirmohammadi, M., Beigi, M., Richardson, J. (2023). Subjective well-being among blue-collar immigrant employees: A systematic literature review. Human Resource Management Review. 33(1). 100914. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrmr.2022.100914
- Shirmohammadi, M., Au, W. C., & Bigi, M. (2022). Antecedents and Outcomes of Work-Life Balance While Working from Home: A Review of the Research Conducted During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Human Resource Development Review. 21(4). 473–516 https://doi.org/10.1177/15344843221125834
- Beigi, M., Nayyeri, Sh., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2022). Steering wheels to make ends meet: Understanding stressors and coping strategies among app-based taxi drivers in Tehran. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 138(103782). 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2022.103782
- Shirmohammadi, M., Au, W., & Beigi, M. (2022). Remote work and work-life balance: Lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic and suggestions for HRD practitioners. Human Resource Development International. 25(2), 163–181 https://doi.org/10.1080/13678868.2022.2047380
- Au, W. C., Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2021). Running their own show: Malaysian women entrepreneurs’ kaleidoscope careers. Career Development International. 26(5), 613-639. https://doi.org/10.1108/CDI-02-2021-0043
- Oh, J., Shirmohammadi, M., Jeong, S., & Wang, J. (2021). Leaving the military to work in civilian society: Career adaptability by South Korean short- and mid-term veterans. Career Development International. 26(3), 415-434. https://doi.org/10.1108/CDI-09-2020-0227
- Shirmohammadi, M., Hedayati Mehdiabadi, A., Beigi, M., & McLean, G. (2021). Mapping human resource development: Visualizing the past, bridging the gaps, and moving towards the future. Human Resource Development Quarterly. 32(2), 197-224. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.21415
- Beigi, M., Nayyeri, Sh., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2020). Driving a career in Tehran: Experiences of female Internet taxi drivers. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 116(103347),. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2019.103347
- Lee, J., Shirmohammadi, M., Baumgartner, L., Oh, J., & Han, S. (2019). Warriors in suits: A Bourdieusian perspective on the construction and practice of military masculinity of Korean men. Gender, Work & Organization. 26(10), 1467-1488. https://doi.org/10.1111/gwao.12358
- Shirmohammadi, M., Beigi, M., Stewart, J. (2019). Understanding skilled migrants’ employment in the host country: A multidisciplinary review and a conceptual model. International Journal of Human Resource Management. 30(1), 96-121. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2018.1511615
- Beigi, M., Shirmohammadi, M., & Otaye-Ebede, L. (2018). Half a century of work–nonwork interface research: A review and taxonomy of terminologies. Applied Psychology: An International Review. 68(3), 449-478. https://doi.org/10.1111/apps.12168
- Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M. & Stewart, J. (2018). Flexible work arrangement and work-family conflict: A qualitative meta-synthesis. Human Resource Development Review. 17(3), 314-336. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534484318787628
- Beigi, M., Shirmohammadi, M., & Arthur, M. (2018). Intelligent career success: The case of distinguished academics. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 107, 261-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2018.05.007
- Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2017). Qualitative research on work–family in the management field: A review. Applied Psychology: An International Review. 66(3), 382-433. https://doi.org/10.1111/apps.12093
- Wang, J., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2016). Women leaders in China: Looking back and moving forward. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 18(2), 137-151. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422316641399
- Beigi, M., Shirmohammadi, M., & Kim, S. (2015). Living the academic life: A model for work-family conflict. Work, 25(3), 459-68. 10.3233/WOR-152173
- Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2012). Attitudes toward teamwork: Are Iranian university students ready for the workplace?. Team Performance Management, 18(5/6), 295-311. https://doi.org/10.1108/13527591211251087
- Beigi, M., Ershadi, S., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2012). Work-family conflict and its antecedents among Iranian operating room personnel. Management Research Review, 35(10), 958-973. https://doi.org/10.1108/01409171211272688
- Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2011). Effects of an emotional intelligence program on service quality of bank branches. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal (Currently published as: Journal of Service Theory and Practice), 21(5), 552-567. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604521111159825
- Beigi, M., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2010). Training employees on emotional intelligence competencies. Journal of European Industrial Training (Currently published as European Journal of Training and Development), 34(3), 211-225. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604521111159825