Required Items for Admission to Graduate School
- Submit an online application through the Office of the Graduate School.
- Application Fee: The application fee for all applicants to graduate programs in the Technology Division at the Cullen College of Engineering is $75. The international application fee for international applicants is $80.
- 1 Official Transcript reflecting your Bachelor's Degree (Must arrive in a sealed envelope from your college or university.)
- 1 Official Transcript of any coursework since your Bachelor's degree (Must arrive in a sealed envelope from your college or university.)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation.
- Personal/Goal Statement: A personal/goal statement is a 1-2 page essay describing your current employment and your professional intentions. You may want to identify aspects of your previous experience that indicate promise in your selected goal. You may also wish to discuss special circumstances, unique experiences, etc.
- Resume (optional)
- Appropriate Exam Scores - Please submit official exam scores. Please note exams must have been completed within the last 5 years. International students who are not native speakers of English must also sit for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS exam. The minimum score requirement for TOEFL is 79 and IELTS is 6.5. You can use the UH Testing Service to schedule your exam.
- GPA Requirement: Applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 (A=4.00). Applicants may be conditionally admitted with a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 to 2.99 in a 4.0 scale.
Information for International Applicants
The following information is provided for international applicants to the University of Houston graduate programs. An applicant is considered international if they are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident. UH is proud of its strong and growing community of students from around the world. Last year, UH graduate programs received applications from students representing more than 100 countries around the world.
- Transcript Information - Check here for more information on what materials are requried for an official transcript from your previous international institution. Detailed information will be provided by country.
- English Language Proficiency - Information on English proficiency requirements, which must be met before entering a UH graduate program.
- F-1 Visa Information - Overview of the F-1 process for applications (clicking this link will open a pdf document).
- F-1 Visa Transfer Form - This form should be used by students who currently hold an F-1 visa status at another U.S. institution and wish to transfer the SEVIS Form I-20 to the University of Houston Graduate School.
Materials should be submitted online. Official transcripts should be sent to:
Regular Mail Address:
University of Houston
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, Texas 77253-3947
Express Mail Address:
University of Houston
4302 University Dr, Rm 102
Houston, Texas 77204-2012
The Technology Division at the Cullen College of Engineering has the following deadlines:
|TRADITIONAL PROGRAM ADMISSION DEADLINES FOR ALL APPLICANTS AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS|
|Fall:||July 15th (Domestic)||April 1st (International)|
|Spring:||December 1st (Domestic)||October 1st (International)|
|UH EXTEND PROGRAM ADMISSION DEADLINES FOR ALL APPLICANTS AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS|
|Fall:||July 15th (Domestic + International)|
|Spring:||December 1st (Domestic + International)|