Skip to main content


Grade Changes, Calculations and Minimum GPA

Grade Changes

Grade changes are initiated through the academic departments. In addition, the grade changes are usually initiated when there has been a grading error by the instructor or a grade of "I" has been given to the student.

The grade of "I" (incomplete) is a conditional and temporary grade given when students are passing a course but, for reasons beyond their control, have not completed a relatively small part of all requirements. Students are responsible for informing the instructor immediately of the reasons for not submitting an assignment on time or not taking an examination. The grade of "I" must be changed by fulfilling the course requirements within one year of the date awarded, or it will be changed automatically to an F (or to a U in S/U graded courses). The grade of "I" may not be changed to a grade of W, but may only be changed to another letter grade.

Students should understand that the only way to have an "I" (incomplete) changed to a passing grade is to fulfill the specific course requirements by the appropriate date. Students should not re-register for courses in which they previously received an "I" grade. Students must contact the instructor of the course in which the student received an "I" grade to make arrangements to complete the course requirements. If the instructor requires the student to participate in all or part of the same class in another semester, the student should not re-register for the course. After the course work is completed, the instructor will submit a Course Adjustment Form to change the "I" grade to the grade earned. The student should understand that both grades, the original "I" and the earned grade, will appear on the transcript.

The Course Adjustment Form form will need three signatures: the Instructor, the Department Chair, and the Associate Dean. The form is handled internally and should not be touched by the student.

GPA Calculation

The formula for GPA calculation is as follows.

Semester Hours x Grade Points = Grade Points Earned
GPA = (Grade Points Earned / Total Semester Hours)

Course Example:
HDCS 1300
Semester Hours = 3

Grade Points:
A = 4.00
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B = 3.00
B- = 2.67
C+ = 2.33
C = 2.00
C- = 1.67
D+ = 1.33
D = 1.00
D- = 0.67
F = 0.00

Grade Point Calculation Example:
Classes taken: ITEC 1301, HDCS 1300, MATH 1310
Grades received: B+, A-, C+
GPA = 3.11 = [ (3 x 3.33) + (3 x 3.67) + (3 x 2.33) ] / 9

Minimum GPA

A student needs to maintain a 2.0 GPA to remain in good academic standing. If your overall GPA is below 2.0 and your semester GPA is below a 2.0, you may be placed on probation and placed on suspension for another consecutive semester.