Skip to main content

Academic Suspension


If you are a first time in college (FTIC) student who has earned less than a 2.00 term GPA (below a C average) in your first long term (i.e., Fall or Spring) of enrollment at UH, you will be placed on Academic Notice (also referred to as Academic Warning). The purpose of this action is to identify a potential academic problem that requires your attention.

This is not probation, and you CANNOT be suspended at this time.

Academic Notice/Academic Warning applies only to your first term as an incoming freshman. If you do not earn a cumulative GPA of 2.00 during your second term, you will be placed on Academic Probation.

For questions about Academic Notice/Academic Warning, contact Jamie Thomas, Executive Director of Student Affairs, at jmthom26 [at] (jmthom26[at]central[dot]uh[dot]edu).



If your cumulative GPA falls below a 2.00 (and you are not a first-term freshman with 29 hours or less) during your academic career, you will be placed on Academic Probation. This serves as a warning so that you can modify your commitments and improve your study habits.

TD majors will be required to complete an academic counseling session through Learning Advancements for UNdergraduate Cougars of Houston (LAUNCH). If you do not participate in at least one academic counseling session, a HOLD will be placed on your record which will prevent you from enrolling in courses.



Once you have been placed on academic probation, if your term GPA falls below a 2.00, you will then be placed on Academic Suspension.

While you are on suspension at UH, you cannot enroll in classes here.

  • For the first suspension, you must sit out the next full term, either the fall or the spring. Summer does not count as a full term.
  • For a second suspension, you must sit out 1 full year (12 months) before applying for readmission.
  • For a third suspension, you will not be readmitted to UH.

What to do while on academic suspension

  • Carefully consider the circumstances that led to your academic suspension and determine what you can do to change those circumstances.
  • Evaluate if the major you are pursuing is a good fit with your interests and abilities.
  • You may take classes at a community college however strong performance in those classes does not guarantee readmission to the University of Houston.
  • Work on study and time management skills.


What to do While on Academic Suspension

Work on study and time management skills.

  • Evaluate if a technology-related degree is what you really want to pursue. Do you want to work in a technology-related field?
  • Meet with your major advisor.
  • Decide on a strategy to avoid suspension in the future.
  • Take classes at a community college or other university. Be sure such coursework can be transferred to UH and used to meet degree requirements.



It is recommended students who intend to apply for readmission meet with a Student Affairs team member prior to submitting their application. For an appointment, please email Jamie Thomas, Executive Director of Student Affairs, at jmthom26 [at] (jmthom26[at]central[dot]uh[dot]edu).



The CCE Technology Division will review applications from students on suspension with majors in Technology as well as from students interested in changing to a CCE Technology Division major. However, students from majors outside Technology should demonstrate in their application a genuine interest and potential to succeed in their intended CCE Technology Division major.

Readmission from suspension is neither automatic nor guaranteed. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Follow the guidelines below to ensure that your petition for readmission demonstrates your readiness to resume your studies at the University of Houston. Please note, the Technology Division only accepts readmits for the fall and spring terms. Additionally,

  • No student with a major outside of CCE will be readmitted from academic suspension to the Technology Division.
  • Students subject to suspension based upon coursework 10 or more years old should consider the Academic Fresh Start Program.
  • Students with financial debt to the University will not be readmitted.



  1. All students on academic suspension are required to re-apply as a former student. For application deadlines, see the Former Student page.
  2. Submit a Technology Division readmission packet to the UH Office of Admissions with a completed In-Progress Grade Report Form. Turn the packet in by the deadline. DO NOT BE LATE. The readmission committee strictly enforces deadlines.



The Technology Division readmission committee likes to see that a student is well prepared to return to school. As part of the readmission packet you will prepare a typed Statement of Readiness. Make sure that your statement is clear, well written and free of misspellings and grammatical errors. The statement should answer the following questions:

  • What factors contributed to your poor academic performance?
  • How have these factors been resolved? In what ways are you more prepared to be successful in school currently?
  • What activities have you engaged in since your suspension that relate to your preparation and readiness to return?

The UH Office of Admissions will notify you regarding the outcome of the review process. Please do not contact the Technology Division for an application status update.