Skip to main content

Majors and Minors

Policies and Procedures

How To Change or Declare a Major

  • Submit an online change of major petition.
  • Most CCE Technology Division majors require a minimum cumulative UH GPA of 2.0 for all CCE Technology Division majors except:
    • Computer Information Systems requires a 2.5 Cumulative GPA for all college level work attempted (both transfer and UH).
    • BIOT, CETE, EPET and MEET require a minimum 2.50 UH GPA. Effective Spring 2015. Applicants with any college level credit must have a 2.5 or higher UH grade point average. Applicants currently majoring in Cullen College of Engineering or College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Houston, will be accepted with a 2.25 or higher UH grade point average.
      • Biotechnology (BIOT)
      • Computer Engineering Technology (CETE)
      • Electrical Power Engineering Technology (EPET)
      • Mechanical Engineering Technology (MEET)
  • Students must declare a major by their 60th hour.
  • Students should meet with an advisor upon declaring or changing major to file a degree plan.

Approved Major Electives

Some CCE Technology Division degree plans allow for a limited number of major electives. Major electives must be taken in an areas related to the major. Most degree plans that allow for major electives include lists of classes that are acceptable for this purpose on the degree plan. Students who wish to use a class for an approved major elective that is not listed on the degree plan must have the substitution approved by petition.

Free Electives

Some CCE Technology Division degree plans allow for students to have a limited number of "free electives" to fill out the total hours required for the degree. Courses identified as "free electives" may be satisfied by taking any non- remedial course offered by the university or by transfer courses for which college level credit has been granted.


All CCE Technology Division students may complete a minor in any university department that offers minors. If a student minors in an area outside the CCE Technology Division then the student must file the minor with the department that offers the minor. Students who wish to declare a minor in the CCE Technology Division should go to their academic advisors for assistance.