Tomika Greer, Ph.D.
Human Resource Development
Office 221, Isabel C. Cameron
Email twgreer [at] uh.edu
- Ph.D., Human Resource Development, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX
- M.Ed., Instructional Technology, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- Program Coordinator, Human Resource Development
- Coordinator of the Human Resource Development Undergraduate Program
- HDCS 6300: Quantitative and Statistical Methods in HDCS (online)
- HRD 6305: Organizational Learning and Performance (online & face-to-face)
- HRD 6304: Research in HRD (online)
- HRD 6396: Internship in HRD (online)
- HRD 6354: Facilitating Adult Group Processes (face-to-face & online)
- HRD 6350: Foundations of HRD (online & face-to-face)
- HRD 6301: Global Leadership Development in HRD
- HRD 3340: Priniciples of HRD (online)
- HRD 3310: Talent Management (online)
- HRD 3310: Career Development and Planning
- HRD 4396: Internship in HRD (online & face-to-face)
- HRD 4344: Designing e-Learning (online & face-to-face)
- HRD 4346/3346: Needs Assessment (online & face-to-face)
- HRD 4352: Facilitation Strategies (face-to-face)
- HRD 4303/3303: Measuring Learning and Performance Outcomes (online & face-to-face)
- HRD 4340: Introduction to Training and Development (online)
- ITEC 1301: Introduction to Computer Applications Technology (face-to-face)
- ITEC 2332: Information Technology Hardware and Systems Software (face-to-face)
- Career development
- Career transitions
- College student development
- Work-life integration
- Remote work
- Women, marginalized, and underrepresented populations
Awards & Honors
- Scholarly Publication Award, UH Underrepresented Women of Color Coalition, 2023
- UH Provost's Travel Award, 2023
- AHRD Book of the Year Award, Contributing author for The Handbook of Critical Human Resource Development (edited book), 2023
- AHRD Book of the Year Award, Contributing author for Connecting and Relating: HRD Perspectives on Developmental Relationships (edited book)
- Student Organization Community Service Award for College of Technology, Student Society of Human Resource Development (SSHRD) Faculty Advisor, 2021
- International Board of Directors (re-elected member), Academy of Human Resource Development, 3-year term, 2021
- Recognized as one of the 1,000 Inspiring Black Scientists in America by the Community of Scholars (http://crosstalk.cell.com/blog/1000-inspiring-black-scientists-in-america), 2020
- International Board of Directors (elected member), Academy of Human Resource Development, 3-year term, 2018
- Student Organization of the Year for College of Technology, Student Society of Human Resource Development (SSHRD) Faculty Advisor, 2018
- Outstanding Issue Award for Advances in Developing Human Resources (ADHR), Co-editor of issue 19(2): Leveraging Research to Advance Undergraduate HRD Education, 2017
- Teaching Excellence Award for College of Technology, University of Houston, 2017
- Distinguished Service to Women Award, Women and Gender Resource Center at the University of Houston, 2017
- Outstanding Advisor Award, Student Society of Human Resource Development, 2017
- Dissertation of the Year Award for American Society of Training and Development (ASTD), Dissertation title: An Investigation of Role Salience, Working Parent Stereotypes and Linkages to Work-Family Conflict, 2011
- Texas A&M Diversity Fellowship, 3-year award ($63,000) to pursue doctoral studies, 2007
- WebCT/Blackboard Cerified Trainer, 2007
- University Scholar, academic honor conferred upon graduation from North Carolina State University, 2001
- National Action Council for minorities in Engineering (NACME) Scholar, 3-year award ($15,000) to complete undergraduate studies in engineering, 1998
- Dean's Scholarship for College of Engineering, 4-year award from North Carolina State University (NCSU) College of Engineering, 1997
- Most Oustanding Chemistry Student, NSCU Engineering Summer Transition Program, 1997
- Most Outstanding Calculus I Student, NCSU Engineering Summer Transition Program, 1997
- Greer, T.W., Johnson, O.D., Hutchins, H.M., & Stewart, B.L. (in press). Surviving COVID-19: Exploring experiences among first-generation college students in STEM at a Hispanic-Serving Institution. College Student Journal.
- Greer, T.W., Sim, E., He, W., & Bierema, L.L. (2023). Rebooting feminist research in HRD: Shifting from gender binary to gender diversity. International Journal of Human Resource Development: Practice, Policy, and Research, 7, 69-82.
- Greer, T.W., Payne, S.C., & Thompson, R.J. (2023). Pandemic-induced telework challenges and strategies. Occupational Health Science, 7(3), 575-602.
- Greer, T.W., & Kirk, A.F. (2022). Overcoming barriers to women’s career transitions: A systematic review of social support types and providers. Frontiers in Psychology, 13.
- Greer, T.W. Johnson, O., Delk, D. (2021). Graduate enhancement for minority studies (GEMS): Case study of a graduate student recruitment program. College Student Journal, 55(4), 371-386.
- Waight, C.L., & Greer, T.W. (2021). Adaptive performance and HRD practitioners: Insights from successes and failures. New Horizons in Adult Education and Human Resource Development, 33(4) 4-16.
- Payne, S.C., Thompson, R.J., & Greer, T.W. (2021). A call for I-O psychologists to contribute to business continuity planning and assessment. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 14, 229-234.
- Greer, T.W., & Carden. L.L. (2021). Exploring the gender wage gap among project managers: A multi-national analysis of human capital and national policies. International Journal of Project Management, 39(1), 21-31.
- Greer, T.W. (2020). Adult learning and development goals for female veterans’ career transitions amid cultural adaptation and identity formation. New Directions in Adult and Continuing Education, 166(151-162).
- Holcomb, J., & Greer, T.W. (2020). Standardization of forms, templates, and processes for implementing an eLearning program with a decentralized instructional design team. Journal of Applied Instructional Design, 9(2).
- Greer, T.W., & Shuck, B. (2020). Mounting the New Guard: The Golden Rule as a Basis for Organizational Culture Change in Response to the Challenges in Academia. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 22(1), 102-112.
- Davis, T.J., Greer, T.W., Sisco, S., & Collins, J.C. (2020). Reclaiming my time amid organizational change: A dialectical approach to support the thriving and career development for faculty at the margins. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 22(1), 23-40.
- Greer, T.W., & Collins, J.C. (2017). Leveraging Research to Advance Undergraduate HRD Education: An Introduction. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 19(2), 115-123.
- Greer, T.W., & Waight, C.L. (2017). The Value of an Undergraduate HRD Degree: An Exploratory Investigation of Perceived Employability and Career Success. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 19(2), 190-206.
- Greer, T.W. (2017). Career Development for Women Veterans: Facilitating Successful Transitions from Military Service to Civilian Employment. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 19(1), 54-65.
- Greer, T.W., & Stiles, A.C. (2016). Using HRD to support repatriates: A framework for creating an organization development (OD) strategy for repatriation. Human Resource Development Review, 15(1), 101-122.
- Greer, T.W., & Payne, S.C. (2014). Making telework work: Strategic outcomes of successful telework strategies. The Psychologist-Manager Journal, 17(2), 87-111.
- Greer, T.W. (2013). Facilitating successful re-entries in the United States: Training and development for women returners. New Horizons in Adult Education and Human Resource Development, 25(3), 41-61.
- Greer, T.W., & Egan, T.M. (2012). Inspecting the hierarchy of life roles: A systematic review of role salience literature. Human Resource Development Review, 11, 463-499.