Enrique Barbieri received the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from The Ohio State University (1988) and was on the faculty of the School of Engineering at Tulane University as an assistant professor of Electrical Engineering (1988-1994), associate professor of Electrical Engineering (1994-96), associate professor of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (1996-2002), and chair of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (1996-98). He was on the faculty of the College of Technology at the University of Houston as professor and chair of Engineering Technology (2002-09), associate dean for research and graduate studies (2009-10), member of the Executive Council of the TX Manufacturing Assistance Center (2006-11), chair of the Council (2007-09), director of the Center for Technology Literacy (2006-10), professor and chair of Information & Logistics Technology (2018-2020), and is currently a professor in the Engineering Technology Department. During 2012-2018, he was professor and chair of Engineering Technology, College of Engineering at the University of North Texas. His teaching and research interests are in the Systems and Control area. He is a Senior Member of IEEE - Control Systems Society.
- View Enrique Barbieri's Google Scholar Profile
Top 10 Publications in Google Scholar (Feb 2022)
- Enrique Barbieri and Ümit Özgüner, "Unconstrained and constrained mode expansions for a flexible slewing link", ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement & Control, V.110, N.4, pp.416‑421, December 1988.
- Chia-Chang Tong, Fernando Figueroa, and Enrique Barbieri, “A Method for Short- or Long-Range Time-of-Flight Measurements using Phase-Detection with an Analog Circuit”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurements, V.50, No.5, October 2001, pp.1324-1328.
- Fernando Figueroa and Enrique Barbieri, "An ultrasonic ranging system for structural vibration measurements", IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurements, Vol.40, No.4, pp.764‑769, August 1991.
- Enrique Barbieri, "Stability analysis of a class of interconnected systems", ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement & Control, Vol.115, No.3, pp.546‑551, September 1993.
- Paul Grossimon, Enrique Barbieri, and Sergey Drakunov "Sliding Mode Control of an Inverted Pendulum", 28th IEEE Symposium on Systems Theory, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. April 1996.
- Enrique Barbieri and Ümit Özgüner, "A new minimum‑time control law for a one‑mode model of a flexible slewing structure", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol.38, No.1, pp.142‑146, January 1993.
- Sergey Drakunov, Enrique Barbieri, and David Silver, “Sliding Mode Control of a Heat Equation with Application to Arc Welding”, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Control Applications, Dearborn, MI, September 1996, pp.668-672.
- Enrique Barbieri and Rocio Alba-Flores, “On the Infinite-Horizon LQ Tracker”, Systems and Control Letters, 2000, V.40, #2, pp.77-82.
- Rocio Alba-Flores and Enrique Barbieri, “Real-time Infinite Horizon Linear-Quadratic Tracking Controller for Vibration Quenching in Flexible Beams”, IEEE Int. Conference on Systems, Man, & Cybernetics, Taipei, Taiwan, October 2006, pp.38-43.
- Fernando Figueroa and Enrique Barbieri, "Increased measurement range via frequency division in ultrasonic phase detection methods", Acustica, Vol.73, No.1, pp.47‑49, January 1991.
Other Selected Publications
- Yasmine Al Abdul Raheem, Joel Enrique Jarrett, Anne Lucietto and Enrique Barbieri, “A Conscious Research Implementation: Research Integration in the Classroom”, Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Minneapolis, MN, June 26-29, 2022.
- Enrique Barbieri and Slobodanka Muzdeka, “Balanced Energy/Time Optimal Defibrillation”, ASME Letters in Dynamic Systems and Control, pp.1-6, April 2022. (Early access ASME Online Aug 31, 2021 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4052271)
- Enrique Barbieri and Vassilios Tzouanas, “On Feedback Control for a Family of Infectious Disease SIR Models”, Proceedings of the 60th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), Austin, TX, December 2021 (Virtual Conference).
- Enrique Barbieri, William Fitzgibbon, and Jeff Morgan, “New Insights into an Epidemic SIR Model for Control and Public Health Intervention”, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA), San Diego, CA, August 8-11, 2021 (Virtual Conference), pp150-155.
- Enrique Barbieri and Xuqing Wu, “Infusing Industry Interests into an Applied Data Science Program”, Proceedings of the 2020 Conference for Industry and Education Collaboration, Orlando, FL, Jan 2020.
- Vassilios Tzouanas and Enrique Barbieri, “Constrained PID Design & Implementation: a Co-Simulation Framework”, in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Technology & Applications, August 2017.
- Enrique Barbieri, “Answering a Renewed Call for Action in ET”, ASEE Annual Conf. and Exposition, Indianapolis, IN, June 15-18, 2014
- Enrique Barbieri, Vijay Vaidyanathan, and O. Petersen, “On Engineering Technology Education: BS to PhD”, Journal of Engineering Technology, Fall 2012, pp.20-28.
- Enrique Barbieri, John F. Eberth, and Farrokh Attarzadeh, “On Optimal Defibrillating Pulse Synthesis”, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, San Francisco, CA, June 29-July 1, 2011, pp.4781-4786.
- Hanz Richter, Enrique Barbieri, and Fernando Figueroa, “Modelling and validation of a propellant mixer for controller design”, Journal of Applied Mathematical Modelling, V.29, pp.195-210, February 2005.
- Enrique Barbieri, Sergey Drakunov, and Fernando Figueroa, “Further Results on Sliding Manifold Design and Observation for a Heat Equation”, Theory and Practice of Control Systems, World Scientific Publishing Co., Inc., Edited by A. Tornambe, G. Conte, and A. M. Perdon, January 1999.
- Sergey Drakunov and Enrique Barbieri, “Manifold control of a class of distributed parameter systems using modal expansion”, in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, San Diego, CA., December 1997.
- Enrique Barbieri, "A multi-input/multi-output optimal PI controller for redundant robots in the presence of flexible disturbances," Optimal Control Applications and Methods, V.15, No.1, January 1994, pp.35-48.
- Enrique Barbieri, "Single input/single output transfer functions for a flexible slewing link", Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol.10, No.7, pp.913 929, October 1993.